Monday, February 2, 2015

Things We Can Learn from Enimen's Writing Technique

  • The vast majority of what you write is not for public consumption. Write for you. Don't be afraid to play with words, experiment, explore, practice. Don't worry if what you're writing is not "marketable" or going to end up as a finished, polished piece; you're developing the tools that will enable you to write great publishable work. A figure skater doesn't practice their jumps only in the context of a routine.
"I write constantly, to the point where while I'm writing in my books I know 95 percent of this stuff, 98 percent of it's never gonna get used. But by writing all the time it's like I'm sharpening my tools. And I'm more able to draw upon that skill-set when needed." - from http://nahright.com/news/2013/11/08/rick-rubin-on-eminems-writing-process/
  • Take the time to learn new words. Eminem goes through the dictionary from time to time and picks up new words to add them to his arsenal.
  • It's okay to write fragments and scraps of things, return to them later and pull out the good stuff. 
"Sometimes a reference that I wrote two years ago might come back and find it's way into a record completely unrelated just because I was doing this homework and coming up with a new rhyme scheme or just hearing a word I liked and thinking about how that could rhyme. And there might not be any context for it. But then I might be working on a song years later and think, 'Oh, maybe that phrase could work in this context.'" - from http://nahright.com/news/2013/11/08/rick-rubin-on-eminems-writing-process/


No comments:

Post a Comment