Thursday, February 12, 2015


Sometimes I feel stuck for an idea. I might have a bunch of vague, half-formed ideas running around in my mind, but nothing in particular is grabbing me at the moment. Or maybe I'm drawing a complete blank. When I'm feeling like this, I put my pen to the paper and start writing about whatever vague idea is on my mind. (Writing prompts are helpful here, too.) Did I have an image of a purple tiger in my head? Fine - that is the image that is resonating with me right now. I'm not going to question it, I'm just going to write about it. As I keep writing, the story begins to take on a life of its own. After a faltering start, eventually, EVENTUALLY, I get into it. Your unconscious is brimming with ideas and feelings and images, and it knows what it wants to write about. You have to take off the leash and let it run.

No comments:

Post a Comment